Handmade Cath Kidston Bunting


Hello, Hope you had a good weekend, I'm excited to share a little project I worked on yesterday. 

I love bunting, I especially love using it to brighten up corners of my home, like this unfinished fireplace in the front bedroom. It is really easy to make and doesn't take up too much time.


I tend to keep hold of any off-cuts and scraps of fabric after projects, even if they are really small because you never know when they might come in useful. I've had this pretty pile of two inch Cath Kidston fabric squares for a while now and this weekend I decided to turn it into miniature bunting.

Here's how I like to make it:

Step 1: Gather together a selection of your favourite fabrics (if your using scraps, roughly trim them all to the same size.) Pair up 2 pieces back to back with a piece of bondaweb between them and use an iron to stick them together.

I use bondaweb as my preferred method of making bunting because I don't have enough time or patience to sit and sew up the seams, this way is quick and easy, it also means the flags can be as small as I want them without being too fiddly to sew.

Step 2: Make a mini triangle flag template out of cardboard. I made mine approx 50mm high by 50mm wide.

Step 3: Cut out the flags.

Step 4: Prepare the ribbon. I like to use Bias Binding tape, fold it in half and iron along the crease.

Step 5: Tuck your flags into the length of ribbon/bias binding tape and secure with a pin, leaving a gap of about 150mm at both ends to allow for fastening.

Before sewing the flags into place, make sure happy with their order and remember to check you are happy with the patterns on the reverse.

Step 7: Use a colour coordinated cotton to stitch the flags into place along the ribbon.

Enjoy.

Thanks for popping by, have a great week, Laura :)





Labels: