#StylingTheSeasons ~ January

Hello, hope you have all had a good start to the year. It feels great to start a fresh new year, so many prospects and possibilities await, many of them unknown to us right now. Have you made plans or set any goals for the year ahead? I never tend to make resolutions, mainly because I never stick to them. However, I have decided to set myself some self-motivational goals... 1. To rebuild my self-confidence. 2. To worry less (easier said than done during a moment of uncertainty) and 3. To embrace the unknown (tricky if you love a good plan)

"The quickest way to acquire self-confidence is to do exactly what you are afraid to do"

Last year was all about learning to live with my grief (if you're new to my blog you can read my story here) I was afraid of the thought of living in darkness, I felt so uncomfortable with myself, I was devastated and I hated that my hopes and dreams had disappeared along with my dear boys.

Although I will always live with my grief, I have come to realise that its ok for it to be apart of who I am, its not all consuming all of the time and it's not something I wish to put in a box and forget about either. It is a part of the new me, time has soften the sharp edges and I am comfortable to live with it by my side. 

Building on self-confidence starts with the belief that you can achieve what you set out to achieve. It's about taking tiny little steps in the right direction and not being afraid to take a couple of steps back from time to time if you need to. Reflection is a great way of tracking progress, stoping and taking a moment to consider just how far you have come puts everything into perspective and in turn it can motivate you to continue to move forward. 

What I love about the beginning of a new year is the fresh start it offers us. Noticing the shift in the season last year really helped me step out of the darkness. It may sound silly, but seeing the cold ground benieth my feet wake up and signs of new life begin to push through filled me with a sense of positivity, it seemed like such a great metaphore for growing with grief. 


Styling The Seasons

I have recently discovered some really inspirational bloggers, Katy and Charlotte who post a monthly feature on their blogs called Styling The Seasons, an idea that challenges us to be mindfull of the changing season from month to month and how it can be reflected within our homes. It's a great excuse to shuffle furniture around and play "stylist" with our favorite things. But also, it's a really great way of taking a moment within our busy lives to think about how we feel and how our surroundings can reflect positivity.

I have decided to take part this year. Here is my #stylingtheseasons for January.


The space I have decided to style this month is a teeny tiny shelf in my craft room. Amongst the books and the craft materials I have cleared a little space to inject a little freshness to welcome in the new year in a way that seems perfectly fitting for my personal journey of growth. I treated myself to the hyacinth from my local florist this weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing it blossom in the coming weeks, I'm excited to see what colour it turns out. 

Whilst I leapt into the start of this new year with a new mindset and the drive to continue to move forward, I am still clinging onto last years memories and with that in mind I thought it was a nice to keep a few of my favourite decorations out to represent this idea, but also because I absolutely love them and thats what making home is all about isn't it, surrounding ourselves with things we love.

Happy New Year everyone, may all your goals be achieved. Don't forget to stop along the way and consider just how far you have come. 

Love Laura xxx

P.s if you fancy taking part in #stylingtheseasons pop over here and here to read Katy and Charlottes posts. 

Labels: , ,